Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday Quick-Write 6/7

Courtesy of Teachers Write! virtual writing camp:

Today’s Thursday Quick-Write from guest-author Margo Sorenson!
Here's my quick write.  I chose to write in the format of a monologue in the voice of my antagonist:

Of course she is in the library at lunchtime.  I'm sure Miss I-Am-So-Smart-And-Perfect is thinking that she can get another shiny "A+" to add to her perfect GPA by spending her time trolling around with the librarian instead of ruining her perfect figure eating in the cafeteria.
What is wrong with her?  She sits in front of me in Lit class, and has yet to say a word to anyone but Mr. Sykes.  I study her glossy honey locks, held in place by a gold clip every day.   So does David, sitting in the seat next to mine.  I see him watching her, waiting for an awkward opportunity to catch her eye that never comes, because she never turns around.  Miss Stiff-Neck.
Who does she think she is?   She thinks that she can just ignore the rest of us, raising her hand, always getting a, "Very insightful!" or a, "Nice analogy!" from the teacher.   Miss Gifted-Dream-Student would never think of associating with the rest of us peons occupying her air.
There she goes, her aura floating into the Non-Fiction section.  Blah.  Blah.  Blah.
I wonder what Miss Look-At-My-Expensive-Monogrammed-Backpack will do when she discovers her precious bag has disappeared and vomited its contents all over the courtyard?
Let me know.  I'll be eating lunch.


8 comments:

  1. I like all the labels, for example, "Miss Gifted-Dream-Student." Good variety. But what response from the teacher does the speaker get? Has the speaker attempted to speak to the ideal student or just expected her to engage him in conversation? Why? What is the speaker doing in the library? It doesn't seem like his/her kind of place based on the tone. How did the speaker get so hostile toward her? I want more, please. keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you had a chance to read my revision (next post- un-originally titled "Library revision"), and I'm wondering what you think.

      Delete
  2. You captured the mood/voice of the speaker! Words like "precious bag, vomited,etc" brought harshness to the characters speak that was very effective. I could hear someone saying these in a mocking tone. Like Glenda, I was curious about the reason that the speaker found him?herself? in the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was feeling especially annoyed at the time that I wrote it, so I guess it is good to harness your feelings, right? I expanded on this prompt in my next post- Library revision. Curious about your thoughts...

      Delete
  3. I love snarky characters. Keep going with this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I am a snarky character myself sometimes:) Thanks!

      Delete
  4. The narrator's dislike oozes from every word. The last line made me laugh. I can just imagine the reaction to the vomited contents of the bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I, too, am wondering what she does when she discovers it. Hmmm...

      Delete